Aug 4, 2010
Retail and Consumer Update: Second Quarter 2010
Aug 4, 2010
This quarter’s Retail and Consumer Update, produced by Deloitte Corporate Finance LLC (DCF), summarizes the most recent transactions along with information on active buyers, current transaction valuation multiples and an overview of the public market’s perception of the industry.
This quarter’s highlights include:
* According to the U.S. Census Bureau, retail and food service sales increased by 2.0% in Q1 2010. This compares to a decrease of -1.7% for the same period in 2009.
* While increasing from 31 retail and consumer M&A transactions in Q1 2010, M&A activity remained relatively dormant in Q2 2010 with only 53 retail and consumer M&A transactions announced. This compares to 59 transactions in Q2 2009.
* Retail and Consumer trading multiples have decreased slightly to 8.0x in the second quarter of 2010 after being 9.0x in Q4 2009 and 8.9 Q1 2010. This compares to the 10-Year Average of 9.3x.
* Multi-channel / eTailers continue to receive higher valuations than the rest of sector (14.9x EBITDA for Multi-channel versus 7.0x EBITDA for Retail and Consumer).
Report extract: Multi-Channel / eCommerce commentary
- The U.S. Census Bureau estimated U.S. retail e-commerce sales for Q1 2010 of $38.7 billion, an increase of 1.5% from Q4 2009. Q1 2010 e-commerce sales increased 14.3% from Q1 2009 while total retail sales increased 6.3% in the same period. The U.S. Census Bureau estimates that ecommerce sales in Q1 2010 accounted for 4.0% of total Q1 2010 sales.
- Forecasted sales for internet retailers are projected to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 6.4% through 2013 according to Mintel Research and U S Census Bureau data. Sales growth is projected to accelerate after a weak recovery in 2010 and 2011.
- Amazon’s sales for Q1 2010 were up 46% relative to Q1 2009 sales. According to analysts, Amazon’s Q2 2010 guidance suggests year-over-year growth of 31-44%. eBay reported Q1 2010 growth of 9% compared to Q1 2009 and -7% compared to Q4 2010.
Click here for Deloitte's full report
Copyright © 2022 FashionNetwork.com All rights reserved.